Haiku poems
Haiku is a traditional form of Japanese poetry, very structured and specifically disciplined. Typically, a haiku focuses on a word trying to capture a moment, a colour or an emotional insight. It consists of three lines, the first and last comprising 5 syllables and the middle 7 syllables. In my opinion, it is very indicative of the Japanese culture, attitude and mentality. I tried to write some in Greek but it turned out to be awfully hard. We have way too large words with a lot of syllables. I found it easier in English, that’s why this article is in English.
Before I proceed, here is a haiku in Greek :---------Χάικου ελληνικό,αδύνατο να γίνει!τόσες συλλαβές…--------
Even though I did try to abide as much as I possibly could, probably I did not completely stick to the 5-7-5 rule. In any case, I could manage a few ones, which I present for you to peruse. I hope you will like them!Writing them was not very easy for me because though much I like words, I am not a poet.
Japan
--------Ah, Japan…land of the rising sun,new era!--------
Tokyo--------Tokyo rules the haze —city of so many viewsstern, yet soft with grace.--------
Matcha tea--------Matcha tea delight,suave, yet so archaic,leaf, not seaweed’s, gift!--------
Life in Japan--------Sparks of pure delight —each moment a small surprise,life in Japan shines.--------
Shrines--------I was left aghast,a shrine in every alley!yet tech lights the skies…--------
Hieroglyphics--------Hieroglyphics shine,vividly drawing my eye,mystery unveiled!--------
Kobe beef--------Juicy Kobe beef – fragrant flavours dance and sing,senses wrapped in bliss!--------
Sake--------Sake spirit reeks…confused hazy glimpses of time lostrevellers' stupor--------
Tokyo skyline--------Tokyo cityline, looks familiar feels obscene, a marvel to the eye--------
Well, those were all I could muster! Thank you all for your attention!
Haiku is a traditional form of Japanese poetry, very structured and specifically disciplined.
Typically, a haiku focuses on a word trying to capture a moment, a colour or an emotional insight. It consists of three lines, the first and last comprising 5 syllables and the middle 7 syllables. In my opinion, it is very indicative of the Japanese culture, attitude and mentality.
I tried to write some in Greek but it turned out to be awfully hard. We have way too large words with a lot of syllables. I found it easier in English, that’s why this article is in English.
Before I proceed, here is a haiku in Greek :
---------
Χάικου ελληνικό,
αδύνατο να γίνει!
τόσες συλλαβές…
--------
Even though I did try to abide as much as I possibly could, probably I did not completely stick to the 5-7-5 rule. In any case, I could manage a few ones, which I present for you to peruse. I hope you will like them!
Writing them was not very easy for me because though much I like words, I am not a poet.
Japan
--------
Ah, Japan…
land of the rising sun,
new era!
--------
Tokyo
--------
Tokyo rules the haze —
city of so many views
stern, yet soft with grace.
--------
Matcha tea
--------
Matcha tea delight,
suave, yet so archaic,
leaf, not seaweed’s, gift!
--------
Life in Japan
--------
Sparks of pure delight —
each moment a small surprise,
life in Japan shines.
--------
Shrines
--------
I was left aghast,
a shrine in every alley!
yet tech lights the skies…
--------
Hieroglyphics
--------
Hieroglyphics shine,
vividly drawing my eye,
mystery unveiled!
--------
Kobe beef
--------
Juicy Kobe beef –
fragrant flavours dance and sing,
senses wrapped in bliss!
--------
Sake
--------
Sake spirit reeks…
confused hazy glimpses of time lost
revellers' stupor
--------
Tokyo skyline
--------
Tokyo cityline,
looks familiar feels obscene,
a marvel to the eye
--------
Well, those were all I could muster! Thank you all for your attention!
Comments
Post a Comment